Work with us
Work with us
Work with the International House team
Every year International House recruits experienced and qualified teachers.
PASSIONATE, CELTA QUALIFIED YL TEACHER
- Start Date: September 2021 and possibility of June 2021 for Summer Camp
- Location: San Donato
- Salary: To be discussed at interview
- Contract type: Freelance /Project
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- Full mastery of English across all 4 skills to CEFR C2/IELTS band 8 required, evidenced by a high standard of written and spoken English throughout the application process. This applies to both native and non-native applicants.
- All teachers must be based in Milan for the duration of their contact.
- This role is open only to those with the right to work within the EU. (Please note that UK citizens no longer automatically have the right to work in the EU, so please check your visa status.)
Additional / Preferred requirements
- Candidates with IHVYL or IHCYLT or equivalent young learners teaching qualifications
- Candidates with at least a B1 level of spoken Italian
- Candidates who are currently based in Italy or in Milan
We are looking for enthusiastic teachers who would like to join our dynamic team at IH Milan and San Donato where we have been providing high quality lessons, translations and teacher training for 39 years.
We provide a supportive team environment of teaching professionals and pride ourselves on having a team of teachers who have come from different walks of life, but who have the same common interest – team work, professionality and a passion for teaching, learning and growth.
We are highly regarded within the International House organisation, Milan and beyond for the quality of our professional development, teaching and teacher training.
Your timetable will include a mix of ages and levels, including VYL, YL, teenagers, adults and 121s. The courses themselves will be a mixture of Business English, General English and Exam Preparation (Cambridge and IELTS) and will be divided between face-to-face and Zoom lessons. Your timetable will be varied depending on the contract.
Teaching hours: A full-time teacher teaches an average of 26 contact hrs a week and as much as 32.5 contact hours a week in specific peak times of the year.
Availability requested: school’s opening hours from 9am to 9pm during the week and Saturdays until 2pm.
You may occasionally be asked to help out with:
- social events for YL and/or adult learners.
- invigilation for exam sessions.
Note: As we teach a large number of students in companies and state schools, it is very possible that on a daily basis, your classes will be both onsite and off-site in state schools or at client companies. All travel expenses are reimbursed and travel time will also be taken into consideration depending on contract type and distance from both of our schools.
Online courses: In the event of having to work from home due to the pandemic, you will teach all of your classes via Zoom, and will receive any support you need from the school to do this.
Teacher Training and Development:
- Free attendance and participation at the IH Milan & San Donato Annual Conference and Workshops
- Monthly 1:1 meeting with a senior staff member, Academic Coordinator or DoS
- Monthly teachers’ meeting
- Bi-weekly inset /training sessions
- Peer, formal and video observations.
- Large library of professional development resources.
- A supportive staffroom, with senior staff are available to help with anything you need when planning.
Employment terms and benefits
- Possibility of 9-month full-time contracts and part time contracts, as well as annual freelance contracts.
- Possibility of reimbursement for external training courses upon successful completion of a year of more of employment.
- Lessons are suspended over Easter and Christmas and all Italian national holidays, in line with the Ministry of Education’s annual calendar.
- Both schools are closed for either one or two weeks in August.
- There is no assistance provided with accommodation, flights, visas, meals or personal travel costs (e.g. Milan subway or Lombardy train cards).
- IH Milan – San Donato does not have a bonus scheme
OCCASIONAL PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
We are looking for occasional collaborators based in Milan and Turin who join our IELTS team as “invigilator”. Those who wish to apply instead of using the form on the right must send an email with their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The selected candidates will be summoned for an interview at our school in Milan.
knowledge of English level C1 or higher
good familiarity with office package
professionalism, precision and punctuality
willingness to travel
availability to work on Saturdays and / or during the week
excellent communication skills and willingness to collaborate with the IELTS team
availability to follow online and classroom training