Young Learner Starter Kit
Aims and Structure
This course is practical and consists of workshops and input on the key basics in YL teaching.
Course Participants (Cps) will:
- Practice planning to meet aims
- Learn about activities to use to stimulate and support language development, for example craft, games, stories and songs and ways to make learning opportunities from play
- Learn classroom management techniques
- Practice online teaching
Seminars and inputs will take place completely online with interactive remote lessons. All trainees will then have the opportunity to peer teach online, putting their new skills into practice and receiving feedback from the tutors. There are no written assignments or coursework.
CPs will self-assess their learning throughout the course, compiling a learner diary which, along with their tried and tested lesson plans and feedback will provide them with a portfolio of ideas, suggestions and reflections to take them forward in their YL teaching.
If you’ve always wanted to teach Young Learners, this course is the kit you need to get started!
- NEXT COURSE: online course from 14 to 18 September 2020
- FREQUENCY: Monday to Friday 9.00-10.30, 10.45-12.15 plus 1-1 tutorials on Friday afternoon
- TOTAL HOURS: 12 hours input + Teaching Practice + tutorial (Seminars and inputs will take place completely online with interactive remote lessons. All trainees will then have the opportunity to peer teach online, putting their new skills into practice and receiving feedback from the tutors. There are no written assignments or coursework).
- C1 level of English
- CELTA o equivalent
- Some previous teaching experience (However, you would not be expected to have any previous teaching experience with children. This course is suitable for YL beginners!)
- Access to a computer, good internet connection and Zoom
- HOW TO ENROL: complete the application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- COST: € 220* + €2 (tax fee)
*Our school is a certified member of AISLI, an association accredited to teach state and private school teachers: you can spend your “Buono Scuola” here!
|9:30 – 11:00||11:00 – 11:30||11:30 – 01:00|
|Monday||Teaching Young Learners – what’s it all about?||break||Classroom Management|
|Tuesday||Activity bank – Build up your bank of classroom activities||break||Songs and chants – learning through music and movement|
|Wednesday||Puzzles and Patterns – making grammar fun||break||Early literacy skills|
|Thursday||Lesson planning workshop||break||Teaching YL Online – adapting what you’ve learnt for distance learning|
|Friday||CPs teach or peer observe with tasks||break||CPs teach or peer observe with tasks|
Meet the Course Tutors!
Main Course Tutor
Kate Knight is the Director of Studies at IH Milan – San Donato. She has been working in ELT since 2007 as a teacher and teacher trainer before moving into academic management. While she loves all aspects of her job, she has a real passion for working with children and young people. Kate is CELTA and DELTA qualified and is an approved tutor on both the IH VYL and IH CYLT.
Assistant Course Tutor
Tiziana Pace is the Young Learners Coordinator at International House Milan – San Donato. She has always been interested in foreign languages and cultures and after a few years abroad, she decided to combine that with her great passion for working with children. Tiziana is CELTA qualified and is an approved tutor on the IH VYL.