Tutors’ support was mind-blowing, it helped me focus on the learning and teaching a lot more and this played a big role in succeeding in the course. I’d also like to mention all the admin staff too, always attentive and helpful, thank you 🙂
IHVYL training for teachers
Corsi di Inglese individuali
Lezioni personalizzate per aiutarti a raggiungere i tuoi obiettivi
Aims and Structure
The major aims of the course are to introduce the principles of teaching Very Young Learners (VYLs) and to help trainees consider, evaluate, and develop their own teaching skills in this area.
Course Participants (CPs) will:
- Consider the different needs, realities and challenges of teaching very young learners
- Practice planning to meet aims
- Look at games and activities aimed at recognition, production and early years literacy
- Design and adapt practical teaching activities and materials to meet the needs of the learners and curriculum
- Look at the different stages in learning and development of young children
- Learn about activities to use to stimulate and support language development, for example craft, games, stories and songs and ways to make learning opportunities from play
- Analyse what is suitable for different ages and developmental stages
- Consider techniques for developing literacy at different developmental stages and nurture developing reading and writing skills
The course is comprised of 10 sessions of 90 minutes each designed by VYL experts from around the International House network. CPs complete a written task for each module which are internally assessed by the course tutors. Final assessment is based on an end of course portfolio made up of the tasks completed over the duration of the course and a final reflective essay. Portfolios are externally assessed by the International House World Assessment Unit at the end of the course.
What I found useful: interactive and student-centered lessons, working on different tasks (arts and crafts, exploit a song, literacy and print awareness strategies, etc.) that I will use when I teach, pre-reading tasks (very interesting articles!)
- Next online course: November 8th – December 6th 2021 (for 5 weeks)
- Timetable: lesson on Mondays
- from 5pm to 6:30pm
- 15 minutes break
- from 6:45pm to 8:15pm
- Total hours: 15 hours
- minimum C1 level of English,
- initial teaching qualification (CELTA or equivalent) or extensive experience teaching the VYL age group (eg. nursery school teacher)
- How to enrol: complete the application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Price: € 350* + €2 tax fee (includes IHWO fee for digital verifiable certificate)
*Our school is a certified member of AISLI, an association accredited to teach state and private school teachers: you can spend your “Buono Scuola” here!
The sessions cover the following areas:
- Expectations of a VYL class
- The VYL Teacher
- Managing the classroom
- The VYL Teaching Toolkit
- Arts and Crafts
- Materials and Planning
- Using Stories
- Theory and Principle behind using Games
- Music, Movement and Song
- Early and Pre-Literacy skills
Meet the Course Tutors!
Kate Knight - Course Tutor
Kate Knight is a freelance Teacher Trainer based in the UK. She started her ELT career in 2007 first as a teacher, then Senior Teacher, Young Learner Coordinator, and Director of Studies. In her various academic management roles she has served as a mentor for hundreds of teachers. She is most passionate about teaching children and teenagers and is the main course tutor on both the IH VYL and IH CYLT. She is both CELTA and DELTA-qualified.
Tiziana Pace - Assistant Course Tutor
Tiziana Pace is the Young Learners Coordinator at International House Milan – San Donato. She has always been interested in foreign languages and cultures and after a few years abroad, she decided to combine that with her great passion for working with children. Tiziana is CELTA qualified and is an approved tutor on the IH VYL.