What can I do with IELTS?
The IELTS test is a good choice if you’re preparing to study, work or migrating to an English speaking country
- IELTS is accepted by over 9,000 institutions worldwide, including universities, colleges and employers in English-speaking countries and beyond
- Almost all universities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK accept IELTS
- In the USA, IELTS scores are accepted by over 3,000 universities and colleges including Ivy League and other top institutions
- IELTS is used for immigration to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK
IELTS for studying in an English speaking country
IELTS is recognised as an entrance requirement by most educational institutions, including top universities in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the USA and Canada. It is used by educational institutions to assess language ability for courses that are delivered in English. Applicants whose first language is not English must usually provide evidence of their English language proficiency as part of their application to study at the university. Universities and tertiary institutions use IELTS Academic for their entry requirements. Schools, colleges and some vocational institutions use IELTS General Training for their entry requirements.
IELTS for migrating to, or working in, an English speaking country
IELTS is recognised by many employers and government immigration agencies as proof of the applicants English skills. Government agencies requiring IELTS include: United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI), Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
UK Visas and Immigration Agency uses IELTS for proof of English language ability in the Points Based System (PBS). PBS allows migrants to apply to work or study in the UK. Migrants are required to provide proof of English language ability. IELTS is an approved English language test which can provide this proof. For details, visit https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration
General Skilled Migration: The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requires applicants to have sufficient ability in English for working in Australia. IELTS is the recognised test of both Vocational and Competent English and points are awarded based on scores achieved. For details visit www.diac.gov.au
Student Visa: IELTS band scores are accepted for Student Visa applications. IELTS requirements for Student Visas vary according to the candidates’ nationality and education sector of their proposed study programme. For details, visit www.diac.gov.au
IELTS General Training is accepted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as evidence of English language proficiency. If you are applying for a work visa, professional registration or for permanent residence in Canada, it is likely that you will be required to present your test result as part of your application. IELTS results are also accepted for Canadian citizenship. For details, visit www.cic.gc.ca
Immigration New Zealand (NZIS) requires an IELTS Overall Band Score of 6.5 in either the General Training or Academic IELTS Modules. Unless you meet the exemption requirements, the IELTS Band Score is mandatory for application in the General skills migration category. For details, visit www.immigration.govt.nz
IELTS for professional registration
In most countries where English is the main language of communication, evidence of acceptable English language skills is a prerequisite for international graduates/applicants seeking professional registration. Professional registration bodies around the world trust IELTS as a quality test that has proven to be reliable, consistent and secure for more than 20 years. Research has also shown that many professional associations prefer the IELTS approach to testing speaking skills using a face-to-face test.
- IELTS is accepted by professional registration bodies and associations in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the USA, the UK as well as many non-English-speaking countries
- Many of the registration bodies that accept IELTS represent the health care professions, such as nursing, medicine and pharmacy, where English language competence is of critical importance
- Other professional bodies in particular countries that require IELTS include accounting, engineering, law and veterinary practice
- A wide range of other employers from sectors such as banking and finance, government, construction, energy and natural resources, aviation and tourism also require IELTS
- Professional associations and registration bodies that accept IELTS are listed at www.ielts.org
IELTS for employers
IELTS is ideal for employers who need to assess their employees’ level of English or are looking for an assessment tool to use when recruiting staff. IELTS provides a fair, accurate and relevant assessment of language skills based on well-established standards. It covers the full range of ability, from beginner through to a very high level of English proficiency. An IELTS score will tell you if a test taker’s English language proficiency fits your purpose. Selecting personnel with the right level of English has never been easier!